I was recently approached by a good friend for whom I've done work in the past. Knowing our heavy-duty expertise in WordPress custom development, he came to me for a new website for his organization.
His organization is a club, and he's starting to see some real growth with new chapters popping up across the country. HIs must-have list of features was about what you would expect:
- Website for the national organization
- Pages dedicated to each chapter
- Membership Tiers ('Silver', 'Gold', 'Platinum')
- Content specific to each tier
- Event calendar, filterable by chapter
- Event pricing based upon membership Tier
- Ability to send newsletters and other emails, filterable by membership tier, chapter, event attendance, etc.
- 'Chapter Website Admins' with privileges restricted to only chapter-specific pages
All of this is achievable in WordPress given sufficient custom development but I said to myself, "This wheel has already been invented." Meaning that the need for this feature set is so common that other vendors have surely created a solution.
And several are. After considerable evaluation, it became clear that a product called WIld Apricot is exactly what he needs. I has all the functionality he needs at a very low monthly price. It even has a 30-day free trial.
This episode shows how important it is to step back and think outside the box when faced with a complex problem.