At least once a month someone calls me or send me an email with this problem. The purpose of this article is to help you troupbleshoot it.
The fact that your posts aren't showing up in TWO places is significant. It means the problem is not at either Facebook or LinkedIn. What else is in common?
- Are both Facebook and LinkedIn being fed from Twitter?
- Are both being fed your RSS feed via Feedburner?
If the answer to either of those is 'Yes' then you have an additional point of commonality to investigate.
The Most Common Cause
Note the date of your last blog post that appears on Facebook and Twitter. That's important because the problem is mostlikely associated with the very next post, the first one that didn't get published on Facebook and LinkedIn.
Usually when I investigate the problem, I discover the culprit is the client has pasted directly from MS-Word. Most people have 'Replace straight quotation marks with smart quotation marks' turned on, for example. Smart Quotes are not legal characters in an RSS feed and will bring things to a halt.
Follow these steps to fix the offending post:
- Carefully look for curly single and double quote characters. Replace then with the stright variety.
- Switch to HTML mode (There is an HTML tab at the upper right of the Body field). Strip out everything that is not the text of your post.
- Switch back to Rich Text mode and reformat.